Research about the River
In addition to the following research projects, we have conducted a range of background research projects on the river to specifically inform the targets in our Parramatta River Masterplan. This includes research on water quality, community research, ecological health and swimming site activation. Click here to access all the background research on the Masterplan.
Parramatta River Estuary Coastal Zone Management Plan
The Parramatta River Estuary Coastal Zone Management Plan has been certified in accordance with Section 55G of the Coastal Protection Act.
It is now a legislated long-term Plan for the Parramatta River estuary, which guides councils and other major land owners in collectively managing the health of this important and iconic waterway.
Read about the Parramatta River Estuary Coastal Zone Management Plan and progress to date at the Our Projects page.
The Coastal Zone Management Plan was developed using a set of distinct steps. It is a scientific approach to understanding the complex estuarine system and the actions needed to effectively manage human impacts upon this system. The eight-step process of developing a Coastal Zone Management Plan is set out by the NSW Government Estuary Management Program and is listed below.
- Form an Estuary Management Committee
- Assemble, compile and interpret existing data (download the Parramatta River Estuary Data Compilation And Review Study)
- Carry out Estuary Processes Study (download the Estuary Processes Study)
- Carry out Estuary Management Study
- Draft Parramatta River Estuary Coastal Zone Management Plan
- Review Parramatta River Estuary Coastal Zone Management Plan
- Adopt and implement Parramatta River Estuary Coastal Zone Management Plan (Plan formally adopted by all councils; see Our Projects to download the full plan)
- Monitor and review (see Our Projects for an update on progress).
Our Living River Catchment Fauna and Habitat Report
This project involves a landmark study of fauna richness across the whole Parramatta River catchment. It aims to expand, restore and manage the extent of native habitats in the fragmented landscapes of the Parramatta River catchment. It has been assisted by the New South Wales Government through its Environmental Trust.
Download the Our Living Catchment brochure or download the full Our Living Catchment Native Habitats & Fauna Report.