4. Standardise the standards
The Parramatta River’s catchment spans 11 local government areas. To create a swimmable river, we need to work together to standardise policies and practices that impact water quality, such as approaches to baseline measurements, installation of rainwater tanks and creation of raingardens.
This project has identified the appropriate policies, planning instruments and sustainable funding mechanisms that will support the goals of the Parramatta River Masterplan.
Establish a whole of catchment land use policy and statutory planning mechanisms.
NSW Department of Planning, Infrastructure & Environment and Sydney Water.
We have finalised our recommendations paper, Strategic and Statutory Planning Review to create Our Living River – Final Recommendations Paper, February 2021. The paper sets out recommended planning reforms to achieve clean, clear water and support and encourage healthy ecosystems in the catchment.
The paper has been developed in collaboration with council and state government stakeholders. Specifically, the paper provides recommendations for the following elements of the local and state government planning framework:
- Consistent wording in Local Strategic Planning Statements, Local Environmental Plans and Development Control Plans, across the Parramatta catchment, in support of improved waterway and catchment outcomes.
- The development of a ‘blue-green index’ tool to facilitate easy assessment of new developments to meet water quality, waterway and riparian land objectives.
- The development of a blue-green riparian mapping system to be applied across the catchment that sets objectives for waterway management.
- Influencing and advocating for reform of state level planning policies including BASIX, infrastructure assessments and State Environmental Planning Policies.
- Strengthening funding of blue-green infrastructure.
To get an overview of this planning reform work, please watch this short video.
Standardise the Standards – Final Recommendations Paper
Download the full Final Recommendations Paper
Download the Recommendations Paper Executive Summary
Final Recommendations Paper Webinar Series
The consultancy team from Civille and Macquarie University will be holding a series of short webinars in order to share the key recommendations in the recently released paper for Step 4: Strategic and Statutory Planning Review to Create Our Living River and get attendees thinking about how we move the recommendations into implementation. To find out more about the webinars, click here.
|October – December 2020
|July – September 2020
|April – June 2020
|January – March 2020
|October –December 2019
|July – September 2019
|April – June 2019